OUR ENVIROSCHOOLS CARE CODE
Kaitiakitanga is about looking after people, places and things. We are the Kaitiaki (guardians) of Patumahoe School
To care for our environment we…
- Look after people and places and things by
- Supporting the Enviroschools GreenGold vision, principles and kaupapa
- Enviroschool and Enviro teams – dedicated groups of students work on different sustainability and environmental projects within the year.
- Looking after people, places and things by using our school values
- Whole school recycling, reducing our waste and reusing – classroom and staffroom
- Paddock to Plate programme – growing fruit and vegetables
- Have areas to encourage insects and birds to visit our school (Gordon’s Grove, Insect hotel, Bird houses/feeders)
- Native Tree trail to learn about our trees
- Rongoa garden – developed with whanaungatanga group
- Clean up Patumahoe – in our local community – part of KNZB
- Saving power and water
- Acknowledge a tidy class with the Tidy Kiwi award in assembly.
Enviro Team Responsibilities
- Support classrooms with sorting and recycling of classroom waste, and classroom clean up areas.
- Enviro Team work on different sustainability and environmental projects within the year.
- Participate in the Trees for survival programme of growing and planting of native trees in our local area.
- Manage our worm farm and compost to help manage waste in our school
- Identify and present Enviro Hero Awards – Kaitiaki award in assemblies