Board of Trustees
Jade Tawhiti – Principal
I am a father of 3 - a teenage girl and two sporty boys. I enjoy fishing, hunting, reading as well as the odd round of golf in my downtime. I am proud to be the principal of this outstanding school and feel privileged to work with an amazing team and in an awesome community.
Mike Greig – Trustee | Chairperson
My family moved to Patumahoe 3 years ago and never looked back. My wife Amanda and I have 3 boys (1, 3, 7) so it's great to be able to be part of the school community by being a member of the BOT. I currently hold the property portfolio.
Kiri Wynne – Trustee | Policy & Legislation Portfolio
I’m mum to two kids at Patumahoe School, Sophie and Eddie, and joined the Board of Trustees in April 2019. I have a background in project management, training and administration, and currently hold the Board’s Policy and Legislation Portfolio. This means I ensure the school’s policies are reviewed as per the required timelines and updated according to the latest legislation and the school’s practices. I absolutely love being part of the Patumahoe community, I don’t think I could ever live anywhere else. Our school is a huge part of what makes our community so special and I am honoured to be on the BOT and part of the team that helps keep it such a great place to be.
Sarah Davies – Trustee | Finance & Communications Portfolios
I am Mum to 3 boys; Liam, Luke & Seth and I am married to Colin. I joined the Patumahoe BOT in May 2019. We have lived in Patumahoe for 5 years and we feel very privileged to be part of this wonderful community. I have a background in administration and financial management and I feel fortunate to be able to contribute to our wonderful school at a board level. I currently hold the finance portfolio going forward will also look after the newly created communications portfolio.
Scott Macdonald – Trustee | Property and Heath & Safety
Maree Fraser – Trustee | Staff rep
Patumahoe School Board of Trustees Overview
The Board of Trustees (BOT) is made up of members of the school community elected by parents to represent their families’ interests and to act on their behalf. Boards are elected for a three-year term in an 18-month cycle, retaining half the Board each election.
As a Board, our job is to govern. We guide, shape and form a vision of where we want to head. The support of a strong senior leadership team, teachers, support staff and and Principal – who oversees implementation of the Board’s policies and strategic priorities and is responsible for managing the day-to-day running of the school – is absolutely essential in getting there.
It’s important to note that the Board is responsible for stewardship, as opposed to the management, of the school. The Board is responsible for setting the school’s strategic direction in consultation with parents, staff and students, and it ensures that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for all its students. Boards are also responsible for overseeing the management of personnel, curriculum, property, finance and administration. It is the Board’s job to ensure that as a school we meet all our legal requirements and the school has the best resources and environment possible.
The BOT’s core focus is on lifting student achievement by:
● Representing the interests of the children enrolled at Patumahoe School
● Establishing the school’s culture, values and strategic direction
● Setting goals and policies
● Monitoring the school’s performance against these goals and policies
● Ensuring policies are consistent with legal obligations and align with the school’s charter
● Ongoing self-review to adapt and refocus strategies for greater effectiveness
● Employment of staff
● Ensuring good communication between the school and its community
To govern effectively, the BOT needs to work closely with the Principal, staff and the school community to ensure that the combined efforts align to create a culture of high expectations and high achievement. Our children are the beneficiaries of these excellent partnerships.
The Board of Trustees meets monthly, generally the third Tuesday of every month. Everyone is welcome to attend. If you would like to speak at a meeting, please contact the Board Chairperson.
A copy of the monthly minutes is kept on the school foyer notice board and back copies are available from the office. Concerns and complaints should first be raised with the relevant staff member and then the Principal, before reaching Board level. Board members are happy to informally discuss concerns but, to be officially acted upon, they must be put in writing.
The Patumahoe School Board of Trustees is made of up of the following members:
Meetings are generally held in the third week of every month at 5.30pm in the school staffroom. Anyone is welcome to attend. If you wish to speak at a meeting please contact the Board Chairperson.
- A copy of the monthly minutes is kept on the school foyer notice board. Back copies are available from the office.
- The Board agenda and reports are collated prior to meetings. For this reason correspondence to the Board needs to be in five days in advance. If this deadline cannot be met urgent matters can be referred to the Chairperson.
- Concerns should first be addressed to the relevant staff member, and then the Principal, before reaching Board level. Board members are happy to informally discuss concerns but, to be officially acted upon, they must be put in writing.
- Board members are parents elected by other parents to represent their fam